Thursday 31 July 2014

There's nothing like a bit of National Pride.

Well we're absolutely hooked. The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014 have taken over. 

I spent 4 hours watching the games last night, hopping between the different sports, trying to grasp all the different rules and tactics. And I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed myself, having the same overwhelming sense of patriotic pride that the Olympics gave me. Never in my life have I voluntarily sat down for such a length of time to watch sport, but you're drawn into the Commonwealth bubble and you don't want to leave. It really is fabulous seeing all these young competitors putting in every ounce of effort and seeing people with genuine ambition fight for what they have worked so hard and so long for! Living in Berwick-upon-Tweed we find ourselves supporting both Scotland and England, with no preference to who will win (however at the 800m Men's Final tonight we'll be cheering from the crowds for Guy Learmonth, another fellow Berwick-er.)

Here's hoping that it inspires many young kids to keep fit & try a new sport!

So far the results are as follows (31/07/2014. 12:11pm):


So whichever country you find yourself supporting, I don't think anybody can deny the comradery that has taken place and the sheer pleasure that the athletes have running on their home British turf!

A huge congratulations to everybody who has taken part, everybody who has cheered a competitor on, or even just switched on for a bit of evening entertainment, you all have helped make something memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment